Tuesday, May 26, 2009

My Wall-to-Wall with Shannon Tipton Hayes

Matthew is formulating a new rule; if you were an advocate of de-regulation in the 1980's or 1990's, your opinions on the current economy shall be ignored.

Shannon Tipton Hayes (Hartford, CT) wrote
Matt should try and access additional sources for his information if he truly wants to seek bi-partisan opinions......

Matthew Hickey wrote
Perhaps you could point out a few that you believe are worth reading.

Shannon Tipton Hayes (Hartford, CT) wrote
Anything I would suggest - you would regard right of center. By the very nature of what a media outlet does will support more liberal views. New York Post is slightly less left. Wall Street Journal is slightly less left. But if you look at things without a pre-conceived opinion, sometimes you can get a more accurate picture. Obviously Matt - we have very different view points. Perhaps instead of trying to garner support for your own, you could try and learn more about why other people feel differently.

Matthew Hickey wrote
I don't mind reading a right-of center opinion if it is rationally presented. The Wall Street Journal, etc. are fine news sources and I read these when I come across them.
Shannon; am confused about your statement "By the very nature of what a media outlet does will support more liberal views". Given the corporate ownership of most news outlets, I would think the opposite is very obviously the case. I have seen evidence that a larger number of journalists vote Democratic than Republican, and would not debate this fact, however, in the end it is not the Journalists who shape the news - rather the editors who are influenced by advertisers (usually corporate in any national outlet) and owners (who are increasingly corporate as well). I posted a link to the Wiki article a few days ago about Media Bias. You should give it a read - it is an excellent discussion of Bias in the media and you might be surprised at the conclusions.

Matthew Hickey wrote
In spite of what you might think, I am reader of many news sources. Many are outright biased liberal, and many are not. The Economist magazine for instance does an excellent job of presenting world events in a non-partisan fashion. BBC radio, and many PBS programs (Frontline, Washington Week in Review, Newshour, McLaughlin Group (one of my favorites), Nightly Business Report, NOVA, etc.) all do very fine jobs of presenting both sides of whatever topic they are covering. Seriously, if you've any outlet for news that you believe I should be watching or reading, I'd be all ears. I will say however that people like Limbaugh and Ann Coulter, are nothing but windy gasbags who present nothing but propaganda, usually in the form of misinformation.

Shannon Tipton Hayes (Hartford, CT) wrote
I have no doubt that you read many sources Matt - the problem is that every one you listed is notoriously left. None of them do a good job of presenting the views of the American public. Rush Limbaugh and Ann Coulter are commentator's - not news sources and it would be an insult to you if I suggested them.

Matthew Hickey wrote
Frontline and the Mclaughlin group are notoriously Left? Could you present some evidence of this?

Matthew Hickey wrote
Hey Shannon;
I think this is an interesting discussion and would like to move it over to a Venue where others can view it (if they are not your friend they will not be able to view your wall). I've got to go right now (Madeline needs to be fed), but I'm going to port our discussion over to our notes, or my Blog when I've got a chance.

Shannon Tipton Hayes (Hartford, CT) wrote
With all due respect Matt - I have better things to do. Let's just agree to disagree.
I am getting irritated and that really isn't what I want to waste my time on. Interesting discussion - depends but we have very different view points and you have no more chance in changing my mind then I do changing yours.
I did not intend anything I said to be "Wild" or "Accusing" or "Inflammatory". If I offended you - I am sorry.
I deleted our conversation of my wall and with that - I have zero interest in continuing it.
Go feed your daughter. She needs your time more than me.

No comments: